Monday, March 1, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

Okay, I know everyone is saying this, but is it really March already??? I know February is the shortest month and all, but where on earth did it go? On Saturday I am hosting a friend's baby shower in my home (my friend asked me to help her plan it, along with another friend, and of the three of us I have the largest home - which, sadly, isn't very big - so we're having it here). I am very excited about it, but I cannot believe it is in 5 days! I have so much to do to prepare!!!

I had been asking the guy we get real milk from if he had any cream available, and he's always telling me no. So I have been frustrated because the only options nearby are "ultra pasteurized" cream, and I know that is not optimal. Well, apparently I just needed to send my husband. Jeff went out to pick up the milk this time, drove up in his ginormous truck and talked farm animals for a moment. Asked him if he ever just skimmed cream for anyone and now he'll have 2 gallons for us on Friday. I know that seems like a lot, but I'm hoping to experiment in making cultured butter, and freezing some. As well as keeping some on hand to make sour cream and such. soooo excited about that!!

OK, so on to the menu plan:

Monday - Stroganoff with Venison cubed steak, steamed veggies.

Tuesday - Wild caught cod. We're actually doing our version of fish n chips in our continuing to learn about frying with lard. Instead of normal "chips" we'll be doing Sweet Potato Fries.

Wednesday - Pizza! Great whole wheat crust recipe I got from Passionate Homemaking.

Thursday - Chicken & Biscuits

Friday - Stirfry (a la Jeff), with MSG-free organic Tamari. mmmmm.

Saturday - Beef & Barley Burgers with grass finished beef. A low key meal for a busy day!!

Sunday - Pork Roast (also a la Jeff. He loves his roasts).

For Saturday's shower I am making my classic guacamole, as well as getting a fruit tray with a yogurt dip (I will admit, I cannot get enough of them), making coffee punch (not a health food, but so yummy. Decaf for the mommy-to-be), and I think that's it. I cannot post the recipe for the coffee punch, sadly, but my recipe for my easy and awesome guac is as follows:

5-6 Avocados - very ripe but not overly mushy
1/4 of an average sized onion
1 tomato
3-4 cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste
fresh chopped cilantro (to taste)
Juice of half a lime
(optional) 3-4 small chili peppers (I generally leave this out because it is a little too spicy for me)

Chop avocados, onion, tomato, garlic in a bowl. Juice lime, add cilantro, salt, pepper, and chili peppers. Blend with a fork until mashed, but avocados are still chunky. This almost ends up more like an avocado salsa than a standard smooth guacamole.

This has been a part of Menu Plan Monday. See more great menu plans at Org Junkie.

Last Minute Edit: Wanted to share a picture of my incredibly delicious pizza! Chicken, spinach, and mushroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment